Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Breakfast Casserole Comparison

We have this great set up at work where we rotate who brings breakfast every Thursday morning. It used to be a consistent pattern of bagels each week, with the occasional donut to shake things up, but recently we have started taking breakfast to the next level. One person even brought in all the ingredients for everyone to make their own parfait. So when it came to my turn, I decided to bring in the tastiest, but least healthy breakfast... the breakfast casserole.

I love all casseroles, but the breakfast variety has a speacial place in my heart. Regardless of the specific variation, breakfast casseroles are always delicious, homey, and comforting. Kind of like the cozier version of a quiche. Unfortunately, all that wonderful usually comes at a cost: chlesterol, fat, excessive calories... etc. So I decided to do a comparison with my coworkers. First I brought in the original version of the breakfast casserole. It was wonderful, and most people took multiple servings. A few weeks later, I brought in the lightened version, replacing pork sausage with a leaner chicken and turkey sausage, reducing the amount of bread and whole eggs, and replacing whole milk with 2%. The lighter version got the same great reviews, and of course everyone felt a lot better about eating it! My next step is to start playing with this version... I already have an Italian twist to try, and then a Mexican one. I hope my coworkers are up to tasting a few more versions!

No comments:

Post a Comment