Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On the cob or in a cone?

New York City: the culinary capital of the western hemisphere and the destination for a recent girls trip celebrating the upcoming nuptuals of my good friend and fellow enthusiastic eater, Sarah. My last trip to NYC was a raging gastronomic success, but since food wasn't the focus of this trip I had tempered my expectations a bit and was narrowing in on consumption of the alcoholic variety.

But the Big Apple had some surprises in store for me.

The first thing I learned was that good food has a way of finding you in New York, even when you aren't looking for it. The second thing I learned is that corn is a delicious flavor of ice cream. Yes, corn. As in... on the cob. Our fabulous NYC hostess led me into a little ice cream shop in the West Village called Cones, where they had an intriguing selection of flavors (Johnnie Walker Black label comes to mind). But once I spotted the corn flavor, I had to try it. Turned out to be a pretty darn good, a nice combination of earthy flavor and creamy texture. It definately outranks the cereal flavored ice cream I had on my last visit, so who knows what I'll find next time...

1 comment:

  1. I made a sweet corn ice cream last summer, amid much skepticism from my targeted eaters...until they had their first bite. It was great! Glad you are now among the believers.

    ReplyDelete