Saturday, June 16, 2012

Basil, Chard and Bacon, oh my!

This week's farmshare arrived yesterday and was HUGE.  We split our share with friends, but still it's a lot to sort through & takes up most of my kitchen counter.  This week's share included lots of tasty things, but I first tackled the basil, swiss chard and broccoli. 
 
I used the basil to make pesto, my first pesto since giving up dairy a few months ago (another topic for a future post).  I also didn't have pine nuts, so I subbed macadamian nuts that I had on hand. Without the tang of parmesean, the pesto needed a bite so I added hot sauce to balance out the creaminess of the oil and nuts.  
  

Basil & macadamia nut pesto

The broccoli I simply steamed, that way the kiddo can eat it and we can use it in other meals.  


Offspring v. Broccoli (not sure who's winning)


For the swiss chard (to which I added some chard from our own garden), I fried up some bacon and then cooked the chard in the bacon fat
 

Mmm, bacon....
 

A little seasoning and bacon fat goes a long way towards a delish side for my leftover salmon made new again with a dollop of macadamia nut pesto. 


CSA swish chard + swiss chard from our own garden
 
I topped the swiss chard with the cooked bacon I had set aside, and there you have it - dinner is served!

Fish with a side of meat


No comments:

Post a Comment