Monday, June 1, 2009

Weirdest things I've ever eaten

My standard for weird food may not be the same as most people... I have friends that think eating tofu is just about the craziest thing they can think of to try. So I thought I would put together my list of the top five weirdest things I've eaten and see how I measure up.
  1. Grasshopper (in tacos at a mexican restaurant in DC)
  2. Beef marrow (Roast, Detroit, MI)
  3. Snails (Valencia, Spain)
  4. Sea urchin (Restaurant Eve, Alexandria, VA)
  5. Shark (first time in Merida, Mexico next to two bottles of tequila, second time grilled at home!)

The grasshopper was the only one I didnt particularly like... the flavor was good, but you could feel their little legs and feet in your mouth, it just didn't pair well with my margarita. In case you hadn't guessed, the common thread of my list is that alcohol was involved in the consumption of all of these items.

What about you - what's on your list??

6 comments:

  1. I ate termites in Costa Rica...they tasted really earthy, like what I'd expect dirt to taste like. The wierdest part wasn't the taste, but the fact that I ate them off of a stick. I'd probably do it again for fun, definitely if I was lost in the jungle and starving...

    Other than that, I'm having trouble thinking of "wierd" things. After I've eaten something it just doesn't strike me as wierd anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from the plainest eater ever:

    Crocodile Egg Roll. Tasted like... ground turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Dim Sum 10 years ago in Chinatown in San Francisco. Have to say I didn't like it. I have no idea what it was since not a word of English was spoken in the place, but I haven't tried it again.
    2. Grasshoppers are on my list too... I was with you. I thought they were way too salty. I asked the server and he said that they are naturally salty, none had been added.
    3. Haggis in Scotland. It's not bad and even comes in a vegetarian form. Mostly grains and herbs and other meat parts in the non-veggie version.
    4. Blood pudding at Restaurant Eve in Alexandria VA. Too fatty tasting for me.
    5. Fish cheeks at a sushi restaurant in VA. Tiny and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about sea urchin being one of the weirdest - definitely not one of my favorites.

    Haggis in Edinburgh - you might not want to know what's in it, but I thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Tarantula (Cambodia) - tastes like barbecued fingernails
    2. Beef tongue - it makes a periodic appearance in the Van Baal fridge
    3. Horse meat (Netherlands) - I would compare it to proscuitto
    4. Guinea pig (Peru)
    5. Alpaca (Peru)
    6. Jellyfish & cuttlefish (in the squid family) (Malaysia)

    I try to try it all. But durian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian) smells so putrid that I just couldnt bring it to my lips...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetbreads. It was on the menue of Aunt Jeane and Uncle Bob's very rural country club restaurant, and I was their guest, a clever and worldly young man. Are you sure you want to eat that Chris? I should have asked why they might have wondered. It turns out that this was some gland cut from the neck of a calf, and during its short life it pumped out "t" cells for the immune system. Or at least it should have. This meat is considered offal in culinary circles, but I suspect it's considered shark bait everywhere else. I was like hospital food: no flavor, no texture, no color, warmed in a cabinet, and served on toast. For reasons beyond understanding this is considered a delecacy. Probably because some fine food writer didn't want to hurt his aunt and uncle's feelings.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete