Monday, June 29, 2009

Hot Summer Cold Soup

If you are a soup person like me, you love the mid-winter coziness of creamy butternut squash soup or thick and hearty chili. And even in the summer (when there is sufficient high-power office building AC), I crave a warm bowl of corn & crab chowder (just had that today for lunch, so good!). But in the peak of summer heat when you face day after day of melting in your sunbaked car and you don't want to even blow dry your hair much less use your oven, a big bowl of chilled soup sounds pretty appealing. So does a salt-rimmed margarita on the rocks, but I digress....

So over the past few summers, I have tried several different varieties of gazpacho, a cold tomato-based soup (usually raw) created by the culinary geniuses in Spain. I've tried various interpretations and levels of chunkiness, and in my attempts I've found a lot of gazpacho recipes that I like, and a few that made me feel like I was eating cold baby food. But I've finally settled on my favorite gazpacho, one that has wandered a bit from it's Spanish roots but is simple, healthy and packed with bold flavors. Most importantly, it requires no cooking whatsoever, so its the perfect dinner after a day of losing layers of skin to a hot leather drivers seat.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good, I'll try it out after I visit the farmers market tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for the south! I can't wait to have a kitchen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I know where you had your corn and crab chowder! As far as chilled soups, I got sucked into the chilled fruit soups on a vacation several years ago. They were all yummy, but I really thought I was having dessert before dinner, and there's nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine wasn't nearly as good as yours! And, I couldn't find piquillo's so I made a different little "topper". Reduced fat sour cream, feta and chives. The flavors worked nicely, but I missed the piquillo salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will need soup recipes this fall/winter. I got myself a blender so I won't have to shy away from the pureed soups. I feel like there are endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete